Home / About Us

About Us

Detention Kills envisions a world where immigration Detention Centers do not exist. We are a community of activists that brings together the voices of the families who have been directly impacted by the evils of the immigration detention system and understand that Detention Kills.


  • More than 81 percent of immigrants in detention were held in facilities owned or operated by private prison companies, a record high.
  • Last year, the death toll in ICE detention centers reached levels not seen in 15 years. Overwhelmingly, this is a direct result of the Trump Administration’s zero tolerance policy.
  • The death rate among individuals in ICE detention is increasing amidst the COVID-19 pandemic.
  • Potentially preventable causes of death including COVID-19 and suicide contribute to at least half of recent deaths.
  • Findings suggest that individuals detained by ICE may benefit from improved psychiatric care and prevention measures to combat suicide, as well as increased infection control efforts to reduce mortality associated with COVID-19
  • Since April 2018, 35 individuals have died in ICE detention.
  • The death rate per 100,000 admissions in ICE detention was 2.303 in FY2018, 1.499 in FY2019, and 10.833 in FY2020.
  • Suicide by hanging was identified as the cause of death in 9 (25.7%), and medical causes in the remaining 26 (74.3%).
  • Among 26 deaths attributable to medical causes, 8 (30.8%) were attributed to COVID-19, representing 72.7% of 11 deaths occurring since April 2020.

Source: https://www.aimspress.com

Take action today!

Sign a Petition